Best Jumper Cables [Review & Guide]
Along your safety equipment, such as a good first aid kit or a fire extinguisher, your recovery gear is the most important when overlanding. An essential part of this is a jumper cable, that always needs to be in your truck. It lets you power up the dead battery of your car by transferring power from an external power source, that can be another vehicle or an auxiliary battery. Before we get onto the best jumper cable reviews, let's have a look at the basic quality of these essential tools, the gauge rating.
The gauge of a jumper cable defines its quality. The thickness of a jumper cable increases with a decrease in the gauge rating. The thicker the jumper cable the more effective it will be. The gauge rating of a standard jumper cable is six. Though, a jumper cable with a gauge rating of eight can do the trick for most cars, if you have a large overland rig, its larger battery calls for jumper cables with lower gauge rating. Sometimes, you might even have to use a set of jumper cables of lesser gauge rating to be able to jump-start a large vehicle.
In this article, you will get to know about the best jumper cables so that you can make an informed purchase.
Best Jumper Cables
Cartman Booster Cable 4 Gauge
EPAuto Heavy Duty 4 Gauge Jumper Cable
OxGord Jumper Cable 4 Gauge
Energizer 2-Gauge Jumper Cable
Coleman Cable 08660 4-Gauge Heavy Duty Jumper Cable
Iron Forge Tools Jumper Cable
Best Jumper Cable Reviews
1. Cartman Booster Cable 4 Gauge Review
This is a heavy duty jumper cable with a gauge rating of 4 and works on 12/24 volt batteries. The cable is coated with T-Prene, which makes it flexible even in harsh conditions of -13 degrees Fahrenheit. The cable is designed ergonomically and adheres to all safety standards with the shielded coating. It is compliant with RoHS and is also UL listed proving its safety.
It is often mentioned by previous buyers that a good point of this Cartman cable is that it comes with a carry bag, that makes it easy to transport or store. Some customers don't need a 4 gague cable, however, they still went for a good rating as it charges the battery faster.
- The cable jumper is 20 feet long and comes with a storage bag
- It is sturdy in construction but also flexible enough to work around
- Fast charging
- It comes with a wire brush and a pair of gloves
- Wear and tear on the plastic coating can be quicker than expected
- The spring in the clamp can get weak over time
2. EPAuto Heavy Duty 4 Gauge Jumper Cable Review
You might not want to shell out on a jumper cable which works with only a range of vehicles. It is always better to have a cable which can do most of the work for you. If that is the case, EPAuto is the way to go. It is a jumper cable with 4 gauge rating and works with motorcycles, cars, SUVs, vans, and trucks. The cable is copper coated and is guaranteed not to tangle. It comes with a carry bag and a pair of gloves for you to safely work around.
The customers have loved the cable for having strong clamp and teeth. The insulation is thick and provides adequate safety while working with it.
- A single cable to work with different kinds of vehicles
- Great insulation and aluminum core make it more effective
- Comes with a carry bag and pair of gloves
- The clamps might not align
- The cable is said to have an odor
3. OxGord Jumper Cable 4 Gauge Review
This easy to use cable has a gauge rating of 4 and works perfectly with 12/24 volt batteries. The jumper cable is known for its T-Pene coating for enhanced flexibility. It has a low-temperature resistance of -40 degrees Fahrenheit due to the use of TRP material to make the cable. The travel bag helps you put it in the trunk of your vehicle without tangling. And the Copper Coated Aluminum (CCA) is ideal for safety reasons.
The previous users have commented on how fast and easy it is to jump your car with the OxGord jumper cable. At such reasonable rates, they have expressed their satisfaction for having such an efficient and safe jumper cable.
- TRP material and Copper Coated Aluminum (CCA) makes it an ideal jumper cable when it comes to safety
- Reasonably priced for such a great quality cable
- The free storage bag makes your life easier by storing the cable in the trunk without tangling
- The clamps are a bit hard to connect to the terminals
4. Energizer 2-Gauge Jumper Cable Review
The Energizer jumper cable is of gauge 2 rating which has a professional grade clamp of 800A. Made of Copper Clad Aluminum, this cable is made tangle free and can withstand harsh conditions of -40 degrees Fahrenheit without any trouble. It is suitable for both the side and top posts of the batteries.
One of the highlights of the brand according to the previous buyers is its customer service. They are understanding and helpful. The cable is long and sturdy and can work efficiently in high temperature, too. It is a bit on the heavier side, but that is because of the length of the cable.
- The cable is of gauge 2 rating, which makes it more thicker and efficient in charging the battery
- The Copper Clad Aluminum is ideal to improve the efficiency of the cable
- They have an excellent customer service
- The cable is a bit heavy
- The connectors are not up to the standard
5. Coleman Cable 08660 4-Gauge Heavy Duty Jumper Cable Review
The Coleman jumper cable has a 4 gauge rating which is more than sufficient for most vehicles. It is a cable which fits both the top and side posts of batteries. The polarity labels of Polar-Glo glow in the dark giving you a proper view. It has ergonomically designed handles, and the cable is suitable for both warm and cold climates. As it is the made with the strongest consumer-grade materials, it is resistant to chemicals and motor oil.
Previous users have noted its ability to quickly jump because of the gauge. The length of the cable is also appreciated as it can easily connect from one car battery to another.
- The ability to quickly jump due to gauge 4 rating
- The length of the cable lets you charge even when the cars are parked back to the nose
- Polarity labels glow in the dark
- The wire is not made of 100% copper
- The construction is not as sturdy as it should be
6. Iron Forge Tools Jumper Cable Review
Compared to the other cables in our list, this 8 gague rated jumper cable is on the weaker side, however, not everyone needs to power up a large V8. It is designed to work under any type of weather conditions and the cables are designed to be tangle-free. The color coded jumper cable comes with a complimentary case which makes it easy to store once it is used.
Customers have expressed their pleasure over the well-made cables and the high-quality clamps. The alignment of the clamps is perfect, and the insulation is spot on to provide safety.
- Suitable for different kinds of smaller vehicles, including cars and motorbikes
- The complimentary carry cases help in storing the cable in the trunk with ease
- The clamps are quality made and are aligned perfectly
- Gauge 8 rating might not suit certain kinds of batteries
- Rolling it back to fit the carry bag is difficult
The above are the best jumper cables on the market right now. Apart from the 6th, which is suitable for smaller vehicles, you can choose any of the above for your overlanding rig.
Do make sure that you carry one with you at all times.
It can also be handy to help out a fellow overlander with a flat battery!
CHOOSING A WINCH FOR YOUR VEHICLE IS A COMPLEX TASK
Enter your email below to sign up to our newsletter and to download this FREE 22-PAGES long guide on how to choose a winch.
YOUR PRIVACY IS PROTECTED