Scrubba Wash Bag Review
Have you ever been out camping or overlanding and needed to wash your clothes? During hikes and long drives, our clothing can get sweaty or dirty quite easily. Well, we might be able to show you a solution: welcome to our Scrubba Wash Bag Review.
Thankfully, the Scrubba Wash Bag was created to help travelers easily wash their clothes, wherever they are.
Today we’re going to talk about everything you need to know about this portable, human powered washing machine.
If you don’t want to be left with stinky, sweaty and dirty clothes on your next trip, be sure to keep on reading!
Scrubba Wash Bag - Reviewed
The Scrubba Wash Bag just might be your new favorite travel accessory. It’s lightweight and compact, so you won’t have to worry about it taking up too much room in your pack.
Folded up It’s just 2 ⅖ inches high and 2 ⅖ inches wide, weighing in at about 5 ⅖ ounces! You could even keep it in your pants or jacket pocket for quick access.
There is a washboard inside with an extra large valve to give you a high-quality wash, without using an actual washing machine.
One of the best features is that it’s multi-functional!
When you’re not washing your clothing, bedding or towels, you can use it as a dry bag to keep things like your phone, wallet and keys dry.
This is a great feature if you’re camping or hiking in places where it rains a lot or if you’ll be spending some time out on the water!
It was designed in consultation with a former Australian Special Air Service team leader and is made out of polyether TPU material. This means it’s a tough wash (or dry) bag!
Now that you know a little bit about what the Scrubba Wash Bag is, let’s talk about some of the top pros and cons to the product to give you a better idea of what it’d be like to own one.
We will then go into some details.
- You can wash clothes anywhere as long as you have access to water
- It’s easy to use
- You don’t need much water
- It’s not tough on your hands or arms to use
- It’s lightweight and easy to compress
- There is only enough room to wash small loads
- Clothes are left soaked after washing and requiring ringing out after washing
What to Know Before Using the Scrubba Wash Bag
You may be wondering how exactly you’re supposed to wash your clothes in a small bag. Earlier you read that it has a washboard inside.
This feature helps to get your clothing thoroughly clean, and saves your hands and arms from getting fatigued.
There are a few things to keep in mind before you start using the Scrubba Wash Bag.
Firstly, don’t use water that is hotter than 122 degrees (50 degrees Celsius).
Since people rarely travel with a thermometer on them, a good rule of them is to remember that if it’s too hot for you to hold in your hands, it’s too hot to use in the bag.
Try to use warm water that ranges between 85 degrees and 122 degrees.
Now that you know what water temperature to use, what about detergent? Does this washing machine require specific detergent? Yes and no.
The creators of the Scrubba Wash Bag reviewed and tested a number of detergents and have decided that liquid detergents are the best.
Things like powdered detergents take a long time and more work to dissolve, whereas liquid detergents great suds immediately and take less time to wash clothing.
If you’re concerned about detergent taking up too much space, you can use a 3 in 1 body wash or shampoo that you’re already packing.
If you can, please use bio-friendly products. Nowadays, they are widely available.
It is advised that you try not to use bleach inside the Scrubba Wash Bag. You can, but it will eventually wear down the material over time.
How to Use the Scrubba Wash Bag
Now it’s time to get your clothes clean and refreshed! The process of using the bag is fairly easy and can be done just about anywhere.
Thankfully, it doesn’t take much water and requires no power so it’s a great product for on-the-go travelers.
Follow the step-by-step instructions below to use the Scrubba Wash Bag properly.
Scrubba Wash Bag Step-by-step Instructions
1. Open the bag and place in what you’d like to wash
2. Add in detergent (as mentioned above, preferably liquid)
3. Fill it with around one gallon of water for a precise wash
4. Release any excess air
5. Roll the top down and clip the ends to avoid any water spilling out
6. Carefully open the valve to get rid of any air that’s still left
7. Close the valve and lay the Scrubba Wash Bag flat
8. Press down and rub clothes against the washboard for 30 seconds to 3 minutes
9. Unroll the bag and drain out the dirty water
10. Rinse by adding clean water in the bag
11. Leave the Scrubba Wash Bag out to dry (avoid sunlight & dry it in the shade)
When you’re done, you’re clothes will be very wet. You can wring them out or use a towel to help them to dry quicker.
Make sure that all detergent is out of your clothes and that they are rinsed thoroughly before you dry them.
Once you’re clothes and the bag are dry, you can pack up and be on your way to your next destination!
Final Words - Scrubba Wash Bag Review
The Scrubba Wash Bag is a product that you can use whether you’re camping, hiking or overlanding.
When you’re preparing for a trip, space in your luggage or backpack is often taken up by all of your essentials.
Luckily, the Scrubba Wash Bag is lightweight and compact, so it won’t take up too much room and is easy to fit inside your luggage or pack.
It uses a lot less water and power than your washing machine at home.
So when you use the Scrubba Wash Bag with the right detergent, you’re taking one small step to help the environment.
If this sounds like a mechanism that will come in handy on your next excursion, be sure to pick one up before you head out the door!
This solution basically means, you won't need to rely on finding a laundromat or a hostel with a laundry service.
In addition, there is no more washing your clothes one-by-one in a bucket! Do these sound familiar?
We wish we've had one with us last year!
- SAVE TIME AND MONEY: Never pay for a laundry service and again, save your money and use Scrubba wash bag instead. A simple, sanitary solution to clean clothes on the go
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE: Scrubba wash bag weighs only five ounces and easily fold to the size of a wallet. Easily add to your suitcase or backpack without weighing it down for clean, fresh Laundry wherever you are
- EASY TO USE: simply place your dirty laundry, detergent and water inside, Seal and release air, scrub, rinse and dry! For a quality Wash in no time
- LAUNDRY SOLUTION: protect the earth by using less water and detergent than hotel laundry services and expensive laundromats. Scrubba wash bag is even safe to use in rivers and streams